My stories of jewelry making, spinning, knitting, and all things fibery.



Friday, December 3, 2010

New Necessities


I have always heard it said that using the right tools for a job makes things a lot easier. Well I've finally taken that advice to heart. After spending many hours struggling with a makeshift surface for blocking with mediocre results, I've ordered blocking wires, a board and some proper pins from a great online store http://www.knitpicks.com/knitting.cfm.
I spent several hours searching local yarn shops last Friday with zero results and an opinion that the wires were a thing of the past. Still I'm going to give them a try with the feeling that they will give a clean and finished edge to all my knitted work, especially with fine lace wraps and shawls in my future.

Blocking is a finishing process that all knitted and crocheted projects should go through. It shapes and sizes the piece correctly and helps even out the stitches. Many needle workers skip this stage because they are so eager to wear their new garment, but they are compromising a good fit by doing so. There are many methods but basically the piece is made very damp - almost wet - stretched into the finished measurements and pinned to a surface to dry.




No comments:

Post a Comment