My stories of jewelry making, spinning, knitting, and all things fibery.



Monday, November 29, 2010

Spinning Stella





I have finished three bobbins of the Icelandic fleece (Stella), and have enough carded for about one more. Then I'll ply them and come away with enough yardage for a pair of mittens. I'm thinking of dying the yarn with the husks of black walnuts from my sister's tree. They usually clutter her driveway and become a nuisance, but I've heard they make a rich brown dye.

Stella is a ewe from Holy Myrrhbearer's Monastery in Otego, New York. The grounds at the monastery are available for hiking and I'm hoping one day to venture up there to meet her.

There is a very large time investment involved in processing a sheep fleece. Scouring it is the first step, and through this washing, dirt and lanolin are removed. Two thirty minute soaks and three rinse soaks are needed. Next the fleece is air dried. Then the fluffy, clean fiber needs to be combed or carded to untangle and line up the fibers. I usually do this phase in the evenings in front of the tv. It takes forever and makes a mess. Fuzz ends up everywhere!

It isn't until all these steps are finished that you can start the fun part - the spinning. Many spinners choose not to do the tedious part themselves and send their fleeces out to be processed by professionals. I really enjoy this preparation as it makes the finished yarn more special to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment