My stories of jewelry making, spinning, knitting, and all things fibery.



Monday, November 22, 2010

A Natural Christmas






The countdown to the post Thanksgiving weekend has begun, but not for marathon shopping for me. Around my house we will be decking the halls. Last year I bailed completely on the trimming and the tree. This year I have promises to keep.

Christmas 2010 will have a nature theme on Honey Locust Court. Birds, branches and all sorts of berries will adorn my wreaths and tree. I have few yards of cotton Christmas print fabric that I will cut into wide strips with pinking shears to make custom ribbon. At the front door the antique crockery will be filled with pine and evergreen boughs gathered from the property. Simple candles with white lights will sparkle at the windows and the Flexible Flyer will rest on the porch as always.

The vintage glass ornaments will probably be sent to my daughter's place to make an appearance on her first grown up tree, as the new kitty cannot be trusted here yet! More birds, twinkly white lights and country style ornaments will be adorning the tree. Maybe I'll go for a really rustic look and string popcorn and cranberries.

My rather large collection of Santas, St. Nicholas' and Belsnickels may make an appearance after sleeping for the last three years in their boxes. My adult children still love the tradition of unpacking each one and reminiscing about their origins. Many have arrived over the last 25 or so years, as gifts from my sister, transported home from her world travels. In total there are about 125 of them to be displayed throughout the house, a several hour process that most likely will involve eggnog and Grandma's cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment