My stories of jewelry making, spinning, knitting, and all things fibery.



Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Santas, St. Nicks and Belsnickles...Oh My!







In a previous post, I eluded to being the keeper of a rather large collection of Santa Clauses. For almost twenty five years now I have had a fascination with the man in the red suit. I try to convince myself that there was no influence here in the naming of my son Nicholas.


No matter...there are almost one hundred now. They all are equally loved; chubby Santas in rough cloth coats with burlap packs, stern faced Belsnickles without twinkling eyes, and elaborate Father Christmas' in velvet robes with beads, tassels and trim. Each year, with the exception of two that I recall (and that was during my grinch period), they are ritually unwrapped from their paper shrouds and arranged proudly throughout my house at Christmas time.


They are wood, tin and resin. They are ceramic, paper and stone. They are three feet tall and three inches small. Each Santa has a story or a memory. As my three children grew, they have always been a part of our holiday traditions.

These days most of the kids are in different states, but there always seems to be someone around to help me put out the Santas.

No comments:

Post a Comment