My stories of jewelry making, spinning, knitting, and all things fibery.



Saturday, September 17, 2011

Discovered Quite By Accident!

 In my last post about making herbal hydrosols, I stumbled on something quite by accident!  After "steaming" my rosemary cuttings, I ended up with the most luscious shade of raspberry water.  Since I am always looking for new natural dye colors for my handspun yarns, I just had to dip in a sample.  Much to my surprise, the fiber took on a lovely shade of pale pink that seemed to be permanent after several rinsings  under the faucet.

Most of the home grown natural dyes available today from the garden yield a rather limited range of color from yellow and orange to tan and brown.  I really don't want to use synthetic dyes or purchased dyes on my precious fleeces, so this new color was an incredible discovery for me.  In all the research I have done, did I ever hear of rosemary yielding such a wonderful color!~

No comments:

Post a Comment