My stories of jewelry making, spinning, knitting, and all things fibery.



Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Rhinebeck Fiber Festival

My first post is appropriately fiber related in a big way. The New York Sheep and Wool Festival ran this past weekend in Rhinebeck, New York. I don't think Chelsea was there though, at least I didn't spot her. For those of you that don't know, each year this quaint little artisan town is inundated with spinners, knitters and other needlework aficionados and novices from the tri-state area who lust after hand spun yarns, raw sheep fleeces, handcrafted buttons, gift items and more. For a first time attendee, as I was last year, this whole event is sensory overload to the max.

I must admit that after a few hours of browsing the vibrant colors of each booth started to run together as a blurr. I did however take a class this year, one of the many offered, called Introduction to Lace Knitting. Four hours later, my confidence bolstered, I headed home to make the wonderful fine lace shawls that danced in my head. Yeah right.

The main reason I attend is to run with the bulls, oops I mean to buy fleece at the famous fleece sale. It's like running with the bulls. The raw fleeces in clear plastic bags, entered for sale by anyone who has access to sheep, are laid out on long banquet like tables to be inspected and judged for ribbons. Judging completed, the gates are opened and the fun begins. The quest to find that perfect fleece is on. Ten minutes later, dragging four, yes sir yes sir four bags full I swiped my Visa and was on my way. We won't talk about the three I still have from last year. Well two. One of them is almost spun up completely.

So the remainder of the week, I will be scouring and picking them. I promised myself they would all be finished by the time this vacation is over. We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment